1. Uphold the Traditions in their Entirety.
The First Tradition: Masquerade
Do not reveal your true nature to those not of the Blood. Doing so forfeits you your claim to the Blood.
+ By Order of the Prince of New York: Should a Kindred reveal his/His true nature to one not of the Blood, that Kindred shall suffer the full measure of His Majesty’s Displeasure.
+ By Order of the Prince of New York: Should a Bonded Servant reveal his/her/your true nature to one not of the Blood, both Servant and Regnant shall suffer the full measure of His Majesty’s Displeasure.
The Second Tradition: Progeny
Sire another at the peril of both yourself and your progeny. If you create a childe, the weight is your own to bear.
+ By Order of the Prince of New York: Should a Kindred wish to Sire a Childe, permission must be sought from the Prince prior to the Embrace. Should a Childe be created without said permission, the Sire will suffer full measure of His Majesty’s Displeasure. That Childe shall also suffer review by the Prince. If deemed unfit, the Childe shall also suffer the full measure of His Majesty’s Displeasure.
+ By Order of the Prince of New York: Permission for bonding servants to the blood is not required, but the Regnant who so bonds bears the full weight and responsibility for their servant’s actions. Irresponsible Regnants who abandon their ghouls shall suffer the full measure of His Majesty’s Displeasure.
The Third Tradition: Amaranth
You are forbidden from devouring the heartsblood of another of your kind. If you violate this commandment, the Beast calls to your own Blood.
+ By Order of the Prince of New York: Diablerie is forbidden. Any Kindred found to have committed this act will be exiled from the city. A Blood Hunt may be called, if necessary. Come not into my Domain with these black streaks upon your soul, for you are a threat to all.
+ Let it be known and respected that, in gratitude for services rendered, His Majesty may issue Tenurial Domain. The Regent of the Domain is hereby granted the right to set forth her or her own Laws within this sub-domain as long as they do not conflict with the Laws of New York or disrespect the Prince. As with all rights, Subinfeudation is subject to His Majesty’s Displeasure and may be revoked if breached or abused.
+ Any Kindred entering my Domain must present themselves to the Prince by proxy of their Clan Priscus or Covenant leader within seven nights of arriving in New York. Should they fail to do so they will be considered trespassers and agent provocateurs. When trespassers are discovered, they shall be banished from my Domain immediately. A Blood Hunt shall be called, if necessary.
+ Should it come to pass that a Clan or Covenant leader is neglectful in their duties in reporting new Kindred, that clan or covenant will suffer a measure of His Majesty’s Displeasure. A similar lack of consideration and respect will be given in return.
4. Kindred Rights
The Right of Domain
+ A Kindred’s Haven may be considered His personal Domain as long as they do not conflict with the Laws of New York or disrespect the Prince.
b. The Right of Transit
+ Kindred and Ghouls who travel on official Prince’s Business may cross any border without risk, threat or hindrance of any kind.
+ Only the Prince of the City may call a Blood Hunt upon a Kindred outlaw. Upon such a Hunt being called, the Prince shall expect all Kindred of the Domain to actively and willingly participate until a satisfactory conclusion has been reached.
+ Only the Prince may confer the Right of Destruction. An unsanctioned, intentional or maliciously reckless act resulting in the Final Death, incapacitation, or abduction of another Kindred or the destruction, incapacitation, or abduction of a Kindred’s unabandoned, fully Bonded Ghoul is a criminal offence, and subject to His Majesty’s Displeasure.
+ Duels or Contests of Arms: His Majesty confers the Right of Destruction to those who would participate in duels or contests of arms entered into by mutual consent. This Right of Destruction exists only for the duration of the formal duel, which shall abide by the following rules.
- His Majesty must be given one week’s notice, in the case that he might wish to attend.
- At the conclusion of the duel or contest of arms, a witness representing each participant will present themselves before the Prince to offer testimony.
+ Treason shall be defined thusly and is subject to His Majesty’s Displeasure, which will likely entail Final Death: violation of allegiance toward His Majesty, His Property or His Will, especially in the acts of waging war, actively or passively, or by consciously and purposely acting to aid His Enemies.
7. Elysium, the Prince’s Court, Required Etiquette and Due Notice
+ Restrictions for any Elysium: Elysium shall be coveted and kept safe from unwanted attention. In support of this no kindred or ghoul shall feed, commit an act of violence or civil disorder or make use of Vampiric Gifts within a 5 block radius of any designated Elysium. Those in breach of this Commandment shall suffer His Majesty’s Displeasure.
- For the purposes of these laws, a city block shall be defined as 0,05 miles in measure.
- Each Elysium shall have one accountable Keeper. The accountable Keeper is granted permission to establish an independent policy for feeding within Elysium’s walls, but does not have the authority to dictate feeding policies outside of Elysium’s walls. Special dispensation may be sought on a case by case basis.
+ The Prince, the Seneschal, the Sheriff and his/her Deputies, the Keeper and his/her Assistants are exempt from any and all Elysium laws which restrict both violence and their use of Vampiric gifts inasmuch as they are used to maintain the peace and safety of Elysium, subject to His Majesty’s Displeasure.
+ The Metropolitan Museum of Art, as well as the immediate surrounding grounds, are to be considered Elysium. Elysium shall be free of violence, and safe for all Kindred. Gifts of The Blood are not to be used in Elysium. The Masquerade must be kept in and around Elysium.
- This Elysium shall be considered the Domain of the Jacob Swartz, who shall appoint an accountable Keeper. The Prince shall hold here a regular, periodic court where any Kindred may table issues of concern.
- The Right of Adornment is bestowed upon the Keeper of Elysium, who shall designate the party responsible for decorating Elysium for Court.
+ The Morgan Library and Museum, shall be considered Elysium. Elysium shall be free of violence and safe for all Kindred.
- This Elysium shall be considered the Domain of Amadeus Silver, who shall be appointed as accountable Keeper.
+. Cathedral of St. John, the Divine, shall be considered Elysium. Elysium shall be free of violence and safe for all Kindred.
- This Elysium shall be considered the Domain of Bishop Jesus Santana, who shall be appointed as accountable Keeper
+ The Prince’s Court, shall comprise of a specific number of officers and meet at a time, place and frequency of His Majesty’s discretion. There, by His majesty’s invitation and subject to His Pleasure or Displeasure, they shall advise His Majesty in matters related to the City
- There shall be a specific number of officers who may be appointed or discharged at His Majesty’s Pleasure. A position need not be filled at any given time.
1. The Seneschal: The Prince’s right hand, the Seneschal is responsible for many of the night-to-night details of running a government. While the Prince concerns himself with conflict in the city and making certain the Masquerade goes unbroken, the Seneschal makes sure that things run smoothly in the government itself. He is responsible for keeping track of the Prince’s assets (and possibly those of the Primogen or others ruling bodies). He makes schedules and appointments and handles the many logistics required so that no elder feels that another is given preferential treatment. The Seneschal holds substantial power in the domain, for he often decides whose petitions society of the damned are passed on to the Prince, who receives a court audience, and in what order.
2. The Herald: The Herald is the Prince’s mouthpiece. When the Prince makes a decree, the Herald’s job is to make sure that all of the city’s Kindred hear of it (assuming it’s meant for all ears…). When the Prince convenes an unscheduled court, the Herald is responsible for alerting those who must attend. The Herald hands down judgment, represents the Prince in proxy when she cannot (or will not) make a personal appearance, and otherwise serves as something of a “secretary of state.” The Herald is assumed to speak with the Prince’s voice at all times.
3. The Sheriff: A combination police investigator, enforcer and inquisitor, the Sheriff is responsible for enforcing the Prince’s laws and dictates, for bringing outlaws before the Prince for judgment and — at times — for carrying out sentences. Some Sheriffs truly believe in the rule of law and believe that they serve their society and fellow Kindred by keeping the city as orderly as possible. Others love the position for the power it offers, as they are permitted to bully and push around others vampires, even those who would normally be too dangerous to touch. Some Sheriffs are clever, subtle investigators, while others are little more than bruisers with rank.
- The Sheriff may appoint deputies to assist them in his or His task. These deputies may also be appointed or discharged by His majesty.
- An uncoerced spoken or written statement made to the Sheriff or the Sheriff’s Deputies may be introduced as sworn testimony before the Prince.
4. The Prince’s Hounds: Quite simply, a Hound is the Prince’s (or Primogen’s) muscle. If the Sheriff is a policeman, the Hound is an assassin or a leg-breaker. He doesn’t investigate, he doesn’t question. His job is to punish anyone he’s told to punish. In some instances, the Hound and the Sheriff are at odds due to their overlapping responsibilities. In other cities, the two are combined into a single position. While the Hound might be asked to carry out the official and public chastisement of a lawbreaker, that duty more often falls to the Sheriff. The Hound is normally employed when the Prince wishes to skip over normal (and possibly public) procedure.
- Hounds may appoint deputies to assist them in his or His task. These deputies may also be appointed or discharged by His Majesty.
5. The Primogen: The Primogen of New York are hand selected by His Majesty, the Prince, and permitted to congress with His Majesty’s Council and offer their opinion, subject to His Majesty’s Pleasure. As other officers, a Primogen may be appointed or Discharged at any time in accordance with His Majesty’s Wishes.
6. Mistress of Elysium: In essence a combination master of ceremonies and groundskeeper, the Master of Elysium is responsible for maintaining a city’s Elysium, ensuring its readiness for court or other official functions, cleaning up afterward and making sure that word of specific Elysium-related events reaches those who must attend. The Master of Elysium is also responsible for enforcing the custom of nonviolence at such gatherings, and he often works hand-in-hand with the Sheriff or Hounds for such purposes.
- The Mistress of Elysium may appoint deputies to assist them with tasks. These deputies may also be appointed or discharged by His Majesty.
There shall be a Rite of Succession.
1. In His Majesty’s absence or incapacitation, there shall be a clear line of succession from officer to officer, the transfer of power taking place in the following order:
a. The Seneschal
b. The Sheriff
c. The Herald
d. The Hound
+ During Open Court, when asked of the General Assembly, the Prince will hear any/all grievances from the presented citizens of New York, where He will then make His Pleasure or Displeasure known.
Required Etiquette for All Kindred
+ No Kindred shall harass the Prince at any time.
- An exception: If the Prince is under duress, any available Kindred are expected to defend the Prince.
- If a Kindred finds themselves within His Majesty’s vicinity, they will keep a respectful distance and not approach unless welcomed.
- All petitions, requests for audience, favors, etc. must be submitted to His Majesty’s Herald for approval and calendaring Those who are unfaithful to this procedure risk the Displeasure of His Majesty.
- Those who are approached directly by the Prince are exempt from this protocol.
+ Any announcements from the Prince will be transmitted in the following manners:
- The Prince’s Herald will bear missives to the heads of Clan and Covenant, as well as the Keepers of any designated Elysium.
- It is the head of Clan and Covenant’s responsibility to ensure that their own charges receive the Prince’s word.
- The Regent of the Media Industry will broadcast the message in an innocuous, coded manner of His discretion.
- The message will be available from the Keeper of any designated Elysium.
+ After a week’s latitude, all Kindred are expected to be aware of the Prince’s Will, having been made public by all of the aforementioned methods, and are expected to adhere to His Will lest His Displeasure be invited.
I, Prince Johan Bennett, set my hand to these laws this 5th night of November, 2009. Let them be obeyed.